"Their starting point is Ukrainian folk, and they build it up into something very beguiling … they’re pretty exciting." - Paul Gough, The Inside Sleeve, Radio National, 4 Jan 2017
WHO WE ARE
Ukrainian inspired global-fusion ensemble Yellow Blue Bus from Adelaide, Australia proudly features the unique Ukrainian ‘bandura’, a 65 stringed cousin of the lute. YBB respectfully brings this ancient instrument into new contexts- alongside a diverse range of instruments and within diverse musical genres: from contemporary dance music, to rock, to reggae, to neo-classical, to experimental, as well as Eastern European oompah. Although a far cry from traditional, YBB’s cultural roots remain strong.
With both original compositions as well as reinterpreted Ukrainian folk, YBB’s 21st century Cossack energy offers emotive musical tales of heart and soul: sometimes majestic and courtly, sometimes wild and fun, sometimes reflective and inward, but always passionate and uplifting.
- Womadelaide, March 2018
- Illawarra Folk Festival, 2017
- Cygnet Folk Festival, 2017
- Performance with world renowned bandurist Victor Mishalow, 2016
- Performance with acclaimed group from Ukraine, Folknery, 2016
- Eco Echo Chornobyl concert in Melbourne to commemorate the 30th anniversary of the nuclear disaster at Chernobyl, 2016
- Australian radio airplay including on Radio National and ABC Radio Adelaide
- International radio airplay on Radio Kyiv, Ukraine and Radio Vancouver, Canada
- Space Theatre, Adelaide Festival Centre as part of the "Sessions" series, 2014
- Performances at Ukrainian festivals, including at Melbourne's Sidney Myer Music Bowl, Sydney Town Hall and Melbourne Town Hall